Three Major Pieces That Bring Connected TV Advertising to Life
All good things come in three. Here’s what makes Connected TV ads worth watching.
If someone asked you about the number of television ads that you saw on a given day, how likely would it be that you would remember them? And, for the ones that you did remember – what was it about the ad that made it particularly memorable? The ‘Rule of Seven’ suggests that prospects will need to see your message at least seven times before even considering your offer, and that advertisers will need to use different platforms and channels to get the message in order to turn that consideration into a conversion. Connected TV advertising, especially SteelHouse Performance TV, was built to mirror this customer behavior, and support advertisers along the whole customer funnel. Here are the three main reasons why viewers and advertisers alike won’t want to skip over a Connected TV ad.
Connected TV Advertising – The Ad Length Sweet Spot
There’s no long or short about it – what’s the right Connected TV length? A study by the World Advertising Research Center (WARC) found that 30 seconds is the ideal storytelling length, satisfying all three components of a brand-building ad and connects both emotionally and intellectually with the viewer. Of course, even anything less than 30 seconds – like a 15 second ad – will appeal to users who have a habit of ad-skipping, which isn’t a problem since our Connected TV ads are non-skippable by default. These ads contain “surprise value” – think of them as a playful teaser that is more digestible and compatible with those waning attention spans. Overall though, WARC suggests that 30 seconds is enough time to make a television commercial creative, memorable and engaging enough to entice the viewer to learn more and take action along the entire funnel. This could mean either conducting more research on your brand or service, evaluating options or making a purchase online or in store.
Switching to the Right Channels, Everytime
Channels – you mean, TV channels, right? We’re referring to both TV networks and other digital marketing platforms (more on that shortly). SteelHouse Performance TV pairs your Connected TV with the right TV networks, and we’ve made sure to eliminate any risk of fraud or brand safety issues with a curated list of over 125+ premium networks to run your ad. Such top-tier networks include CNN, FOX, CNBC, Food Network, ESPN and more, so you can be guaranteed that your content will always have a safe haven. The whole process is built-off machine learning, which automates the decision making process by serving your ad on the right channel, to the right user, at the right time.
What’s this about serving Connected TV ads on other channels though – doesn’t that defeat the whole purpose of advertising on television? Being a platform rooted in performance, we did a lot of user research and customer behaviour studies and found that TV is but only one part of the puzzle. Users are generally distracted with other devices while they’re on television as the data suggests:
New Look, Same Great Taste
Keeping the themes of automation, performance and branding running strong, we elevated our solution offering to include Connected TV. Now, brands could run ads on Connected TV – but with the added benefit of automating the entire process so marketers can simply “plug and play” their campaign parameters such as timeline and budget and focus on driving performance. Here are some of the other features added to the platform to keep advertisers one step ahead:
- Premium Content: Our Living Room Quality feature serves non-skippable 15 or 30 second ads across 125+ premium, handpicked networks only on Connected TV. We’re not talking about any old network either, but household brands like CNN, FOX, CNBC and Food Network. Such ads score an average 97% completion rate, which means viewers are truly engaged with this content.
- Precise Targeting: Pinpoint your audience (or find new ones!) through our partnership with the world’s leading data provider, Oracle Data Cloud. Access third party data segments to attract new and relevant customers.
- Retarget Your Way: We always meet our customers where they are – whether that be on the desktop/laptop or their TV. Whichever is their first point of contact, our retargeting solution and Audience Extension feature will enhance the overall ad experience and keep your audience engaged across all channels, until the point of conversion on your website.
- Transparent Tracking: This is where our performance solution really kicks into gear. Our Cross-Device Verified Visits proprietary attribution model monitors how, when and where your users are coming across your various touch points – down to the device that they’re using to interact with your brand. Our platform is also integrated with Google Analytics – an industry favorite – which pulls in this data and shows how your Connected TV ad is performing alongside your other marketing channels. This allows performance marketers to get a holistic view of their campaigns on a single dashboard, and then optimize accordingly for the best results.
- Performance, Performance, Performance: A word so nice, we had to say it thrice! We funnel all of your performance data, tracking and metrics within a single user-interface, which gives advertisers a view into how their campaign is performing at every level and metric (around 900 of them). Our reporting capabilities puts traditional spreadsheets to shame, since you can tailor and customize reports to your liking.
Well, that’s one for the history books! Whether or not you’re a Connected TV advertising convert or a seasoned performance marketer well versed in all things CTV, welcome – we hope you’ll stay awhile. Check out some of our other resources or get in contact with us below.
Schedule a Demo
You’ve read all about our features and solutions – now it’s your turn to try it out. Enter your email and an expert from our team will be in touch.