The History of Connected TV Platforms
A look at the past - because the only time you should look back is to see how far you’ve come.
We always like to look forward to what’s to come, especially in the exciting world that is Connected TV – however, in order to innovate, we also need to learn from the past. Connected TV has been around for over a solid decade, and more networks and platforms are jumping on the bandwagon. But only recently has Connected TV advertising taken off. Let’s take a closer look at the ebbs and flows in the industry – it’s been quite a ride and we’re only getting started.
So, Why Connected TV?
SteelHouse is rooted in performance marketing, which is the North Star of everything that we do. We first started out as a digital advertising platform to help brands automate and retarget their marketing efforts across social media and display. We also wanted to streamline communications between marketers and creative teams to launch campaigns at scale in a matter of minutes with our Ad Builder solution. However, as we mentioned – driving results for marketers (and making their lives that much easier) is our first priority, which is why our analytics and reporting can be accessed and customized all in one place.
Through our experience in the industry, we noticed something amiss. Television always had the reach and prestige as an advertising channel, however many brands struggled to find a way to link it to ROI and justify it in their marketing spend – completion rates on this channel also hovered at a low 14%.
We also noticed more and more Connected TV platforms popping up in the late 2000s, which revolutionized the way television content was consumed. For the first time ever, television became audience-first instead of content-first. Consumers only needed an internet connection to be able to watch television on their time-schedule – and entirely on their terms. If television content could be viewed in this way, shouldn’t advertising content be treated the same? We turned this concept into reality with SteelHouse Performance TV – keeping all of the best parts of television advertising, while at the same time treating it as a direct-response channel that could be tracked and measured like any other in their marketing mix.
A Timeline of Connected TV
New Look, Same Great Taste
Keeping the themes of automation, performance and branding running strong, we elevated our solution offering to include Connected TV. Now, brands could run ads on Connected TV – but with the added benefit of automating the entire process so marketers can simply “plug and play” their campaign parameters such as timeline and budget and focus on driving performance. Here are some of the other features added to the platform to keep advertisers one step ahead:
- Premium Content: Our Living Room Quality feature serves non-skippable 15 or 30 second ads across 125+ premium, handpicked networks only on Connected TV. We’re not talking about any old network either, but household brands like CNN, FOX, CNBC and Food Network. Such ads score an average 97% completion rate, which means viewers are truly engaged with this content.
- Precise Targeting: Pinpoint your audience (or find new ones!) through our partnership with the world’s leading data provider, Oracle Data Cloud. Access third party data segments to attract new and relevant customers.
- Retarget Your Way: We always meet our customers where they are – whether that be on the desktop/laptop or their TV. Whichever is their first point of contact, our retargeting solution and Audience Extension feature will enhance the overall ad experience and keep your audience engaged across all channels, until the point of conversion on your website.
- Transparent Tracking: This is where our performance solution really kicks into gear. Our Cross-Device Verified Visits proprietary attribution model monitors how, when and where your users are coming across your various touch points – down to the device that they’re using to interact with your brand. Our platform is also integrated with Google Analytics – an industry favorite – which pulls in this data and shows how your Connected TV ad is performing alongside your other marketing channels. This allows performance marketers to get a holistic view of their campaigns on a single dashboard, and then optimize accordingly for the best results.
- Performance, Performance, Performance: A word so nice, we had to say it thrice! We funnel all of your performance data, tracking and metrics within a single user-interface, which gives advertisers a view into how their campaign is performing at every level and metric (around 900 of them). Our reporting capabilities puts traditional spreadsheets to shame, since you can tailor and customize reports to your liking.
Well, that’s one for the history books! Whether or not you’re a Connected TV advertising convert or a seasoned performance marketer well versed in all things CTV, welcome – we hope you’ll stay awhile. Check out some of our other resources or get in contact with us below.
Schedule a Demo
You’ve read all about our features and solutions – now it’s your turn to try it out. Enter your email and an expert from our team will be in touch.